Monday 3 October 2011

Remedy.

Cross-posting...woo!
Several things inspired this. The most important is 'Remedy' by Little Boots, considering it's the one being performed. After several characters being created and tweaked I managed to squeeze it down to one performing the song through her dress. My Dad had once told me how he'd seen Kraftwerk perform using synthesized suits, which I guess comes as the second bout of inspiration. I couldn't get the image out of my head, and with no luck on finding any kind of image or video of them wearing these suits I shot off on my own. A short hop onto Google led me to this video of some Space Age fashions from the 60s (yup, the zipped knitted catsuit!), which then led me to more music videos - 'Freeek!' by George Michael and 'Born This Way' by Lady Gaga. I modeled her hair a bit on Twiggy's, but only because the typical 60's fringe made her look like good ol' Gaga. No thanks.
I wanted the mechanics of the actual dress to be much like a LaunchPad. All information would be sent to The Heart which also acts as a central speaker. (Yes, I've just altered this...you'll see it when I manage to scan it...oooooh!). The earpieces have microphones which follow some kind of cheek or jaw line, these are again connected to The Heart. The information from this central speaker is shared to the other speakers on her arms and legs and back to the earpieces.
Also, the neck detail is supposed to be some kind of LED equaliser. And she's on wheels because she can be.

I'm horribly proud of this design. So much so that I needed to call Iyad to blabber on about mechanics and whatnot...he seems to think it's possible to make this. Watch this space...

~~~

So, after that excitement, roll on 3rd Year!
I won't insert pathetic excuses for no making over Summer. At least I managed to squeeze myself into a last-minute dress for my cousin's wedding (ladies, if your bust size means you're a size 14 don't assume that Vogue's size 14 will happily fit you...learning curve!), I've started a much anticipated hooded poncho for the Winter (no, my fashion taste is not the best) AND I started to learn how to knit! Starting back tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to being introduced to my first project - making a Victorian bustle dress for the University's costume store! Another thing to add to the list of 'things I want for my wedding dress'. Huzzah.
Exciting times!

No comments:

Post a Comment