Wednesday 19 May 2010

Bonjour! Part 2

So I guess a bit more of an introduction is necessary. Questions, questions, questions!

WTF is with the Blog title?


It comes from the song 'Dogfight' by MOVE. My lyrics in English are 'If there's just a moment to shine, I don't care'. Freedom. Taking every chance you can. Success. Inspirational for me at least!

Costume, huh? Uh, why?


The funny thing is, I always saw mysef as a graphics or photography person. I did 'Digital' Art from year 10 onwards as I sure as hell couldn't paint or draw well. The only link to costume that I can just about muster at this time is cosplay - since I was 13 I'd piece together costumes for various characters from video games and Janapese anime, only making the smallest items of clothing myself, the rest sources from charity shops and my sister!
It was during Sixth Form that I first encountered using textiles in work. Whatever her name was, I must be grateful for the textile artist that visited, showing how she created textile installations. After enjoying the small workshop she offered I thought to myself 'do I really want to be stuck playing on photoshop for the rest of my life?' To open up more oppurtunities for myself I chose to do a Foundation course in Bournemouth - the best move I could ever make.
In that year I moved completly to the opposite scale of Art and Design. I took a textile pathway halfway through the year, and descovered the costume degree. Not wanting to be restricted by the Fashion course, I joined the legion of Costume...and I'm loving it!
...the only sad part is that I had to choose between making and designing. Better marks and more to learn in making? Yes please.

Is that it?

...not really. I originally was inspired to design and make clothing in an alternative image (unfortunatly much like my own personal taste of clothing). I was spurred on by the costumes used by styles like Steampunk, Burlesque, the amazing works of Antiseptic Fashion and (most prominently) various music videos:

IAMX - President
Christina Aguilera - Fighter
My Chemical Romance - Welcome To The Black Parade
Marilyn Manson - The Nobodies
Marilyn Manson - mOBSCENE
P!nk - Funhouse

To me all of these examples aren't really a case of bizarre fashion - arguably they can be seen as performance, or costume if you will! I wanted to create something like these examples - something special. While I've pretty much branded myself a maker, hopefully I can still allow myself to experiment more!

Aaaand that's it. Apologies for the essay. Any more questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment